Monday, September 05, 2005

the unfinished vw

Carl rebuilt the engine for his VW Beetle right before we drove it, via a very indirect route, from Florida to Wisconsin. We visited various friends, relatives and places in Alabama, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana and Wisconsin.
My legs were already pretty weak, and a Beetle's seats are very upright so operating the pedals required the ability to lift a bent leg from one pedal to the other. I couldn't really do that without using my arm to help lift my leg which made it very unsafe for me to drive, so I only drove maybe a quarter of the time. We ended up using a rubber band or something to put together some blocks of wood with a sock covering part of it on the gas pedal so I could pivot my foot back and forth from accelerator to brake without having to lift my whole leg. That was a significant improvement so long as the contraption didn't slip off and get behind the brake pedal, which it didn't, at least not at any time when I needed to use the brake quickly.
I was writing in a travel diary I picked up at a second hand store in Florida, so I'm sure I have a bunch more written about the trip. It's written in tiny messy handwriting though, perhaps barely legible to me when I wrote it. Maybe some day I'll try to read it, and even transcribe some of it if it seems worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home