Thursday, September 01, 2005

get lost

I used to like to walk in the woods when I was a kid. We lived pretty far out in the country, and there were no neighbors within view. I would usually head up the tree covered hill in front of our house, and wonder around for hours. I became very familiar with the woods around our house. Any time I had extra time, I would explore further and further for the small thrill of finding new and interesting places. I already knew the area around the house very well, the two large rocks half buried on the steep hillside, one with a bees nest under it, the fallen oak tree, the sunken area where a huge tree must have fallen then rotted away. Finding new things, like the steep ravine with a mountain stream at the bottom was refreshing and exciting. It was nice to know about these new places and I used to wonder if maybe I was the only person in the world who knew about them. It seemed unlikely that I had been the only person who had ever been to them, but maybe the others who had been there had long forgotten about them.
After some time, it seemed like I wasn't finding any new places in my wanderings. There would often be something new and interesting in the familiar places, like deer tracks, or a newly fallen tree, but it wasn't as exciting as finding a completely new place. So I decided that I would try to get lost.
I started out walking through the woods trying not to pay attention to where I was going, making random turns occasionally. When I'd gone what I thought was sufficiently far, I started looking around to see if I was lost. Nothing seemed very familiar, but when I went a little further, I realized I was near the hill which led down to the road which I could follow right to our driveway. So I walked down to the road and decided to try again the next day. I ended up a little further away the next day, but soon found myself at the top of the ravine with a stream that led down to the same road I'd been on the previous day. I thought I might just continue walking from there, but I was already tired from trying to get lost again, so I thought I'd try again some other day. I repeated the process a few more times, but each time, I realized where I was within a few minutes. I couldn't get lost. I thought maybe if I spent the night in the woods and got up early while it was still dark, I could walk really far and get lost for sure. But I knew my parents would be mad if I tried to do that, and probably wouldn't be too happy if they knew I was trying to get lost in the first place.
I was kind of proud that I knew the area so well that I could always find my way home, but a little disappointed that I couldn't get lost.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Very interesting blog and I see that you're one of very few people who have bothered to put on word verification. Visit my blog sometime and leave a critical comment like mine....I dare ya.

9/01/2005 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I got lost when I was a kid..

9/07/2005 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home