Sunday, September 11, 2005

twenty gauge

I was inside making some food, and I heard Jörg yelling loud enough to be heard inside. I went outside, and it was fairly dark, so I didn't see where he was at first, but Paul was bringing an armload of wood to the woodpile. Paul said something, but I didn't hear what he said at first because of the din of the chirping frogs. He spoke louder and said Jörg was over by the clearing cutting wood, and he said something about getting the gun.
Then I heard Jörg yell, "Get the gun! Get the gun!"
I felt a sinking feeling and then a sudden rush of adrenaline. All sorts of scenarios started going through my mind. Was it a bear? Coyotes? Wolves? Some drunken woodsman with a handgun? So I rushed back inside and grabbed the shotgun and put some extra shells in my pocket. The cabin was pretty dark because the only lit kerosene lamp was in the kitchen, and I stumbled over some shoes or something on the floor and nearly fell down. My heart was beating pretty fast as I stepped off the porch and loaded the shotgun.
I yelled to Jörg, asking what was going on, and he said to bring the gun. Paul and I walked cautiously and quickly over to where he was standing with the saw in his hand, staring out into the clearing. I was looking around for something dangerous that I might have to shoot.
He said, "These fucking frogs!"
Admittedly, the frogs were very loud, and they seemed to especially loud near the clearing where Jörg was cutting wood, but I was more than a little annoyed. I asked him what the hell was he thinking. I told him I had thought he was in some real danger, and I could've tripped in the dark while rushing over with the gun and accidently shot myself, or him, or Paul. He didn't seem overly concerned about that and just wanted me to shut those frogs up. Along with being annoyed, I was relieved that there wasn't really any big problem, and it started to seem pretty funny to me. So I said, okay, and I aimed the shotgun in the direction where the frogs seemed the loudest, and fired. Even with the ringing in my ears, I could tell that the frogs had completely ignored the gun's retort and hadn't stopped chirping for a moment.
We started laughing and decided the rest of the wood cutting could wait until morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home