Thursday, October 06, 2005

a nice leisurely breakfast

Grandad always had a good plan for the morning when I went hunting with him at the cabin. He would say something like, "We'll get up at five, have a cup of coffee, and head out to the woods. We'll be able to get in position and be ready before sunrise. We can stay out for a few hours, then come back in around eight thirty or nine and have a nice leisurely breakfast."
The alarm clock He'd get me to wind up the alarm clock and set it for five before we went to bed. I'd put a big log or two in the wood stove and close the flue before going to bed. It was so nice to blow out the kerosene lamp and crawl into the sleeping bag in a bunk next to a warm wood stove, conscious of the ice, snow and wind outside. I'd usually be very tired after a day of hunting, fetching water, bringing in firewood and whatever else needed to be done around the cabin. I'd fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly.
At five in the morning, the dreadful ring of the wind up alarm clock would sound off the beginning of another day of serious hunting. I think it would usually ring for about a minute and a half before it wound down, and I'd remain still in my sleeping bag, hoping. Usually, grandad would turn in his bunk, maybe cough a few times, then fall back asleep, if he had ever waken up in the first place, and my hopes would be fulfilled. I'd wait a few minutes and then quietly get out of my sleeping bag, and carefully get another log from the pile of wood below the window. I'd slowly open the flue and try to silently place the log in the wood stove, then close the flue again and creep back into my sleeping bag for another hour or two of delicious sleep.
It was usually getting light outside by the time one of us would actually get up. Occasionally he would ask me if the alarm had gone off, and I'd say it had, but I thought he'd decided to get a little more sleep. He never seemed to notice that someone had added a log to the wood stove, which was fine with me. He'd say something like, "Well, okay, let's have a cup of coffee and get out there."
I'd go boil the water, and make a couple of cups of instant coffee. I often added a packet of Swiss Miss instant cocoa to my cup of coffee for additional flavor. We'd drink our hot beverages and by the time we finished, the sun would be up and it would be getting on to seven or seven thirty. We'd be awake enough to be feeling hungry by then, and I would start hoping anew. My hopes were usually fulfilled again when grandad would say something like, "It's probably not worth going out now before breakfast, so we might as well eat, then we can go out and get a few good hours before lunch."
So then we'd have our nice leisurely breakfast without having to venture out into the dark and cold of the pre-sunrise forest.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm, a leisurely breakfast, at any time of day, is something i approve of.
i could almost make more coffee right now, not instant though.

10/06/2005 10:06 AM  
Blogger danteand said...

Not even if it is "Taster's Choice" instant coffee, as depicted in this blurry old photo of items on the table in the shack?

10/06/2005 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im with elder...

10/07/2005 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home